Now that I’ve finished my album of the year list, I’m turning to singles of the year. Now, I don’t usually pay attention to top 40 radio, so I don’t know if all of these have officially been released, but these are songs that somehow came out this year, either officially or on an album that came out. I’m being a little more loose on these, because it includes a lot of popular singles which have merit themselves, while their album and artists may be lacking in talent or credibility.
You can find them all uploaded here.
- The Killers, “When You Were Young” By far my favorite single of the year. Throwback to classic rock. Too bad the rest of the album didn’t live up.
- Cobra Starship, “Snakes on a Plane (Bring It)” A song that was sort of a tongue-in-cheek rock song was ctually one of the best rock songs written. Throw in some cameos by hot rock stars (i.e. William Beckett) and it’s a masterpiece.
- Nelly Furtado feat. Timbaland, “Promiscuous” I’m ignoring the fact that Nelly Furtado sold out to slutsville and Timbaland is featured in every song that came out this year, and I don’t even know what the song is about. Glorifying or condemning promiscuity? Does it even matter?
- …And You Will Know us By the Trail of Dead “Stand in Silence” The video is crap.
- The Fratellis, “Henrietta”
- The Sounds, “Painted By Numbers” unnecessary crotch shots
- Mew, “Special”
- Lily Allen, “LDN”. Can I get away with wearing a prom dress with sneakers? I wish.
more to come….